Call +61 1300 10 50 50Book and appointment!

500 Student Visa

500 Student visa


This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognized education institution.​


  • be at least six years of age
  • have been accepted to study at an educational institution in Australia
  • have health insurance.

Length of stay Up to 5 years
Visa cost for primary applicant  $AU 560.00

GTE aka Genuine temporary entrant

The GTE requirement applies to all student visa applicants. The officer assessing the visa will and consider whether the individual circumstances of the student indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia. You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.

English Skills

You might need to provide evidence of your English language skills with your visa application.


You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you, to pay for your course fees, and travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia.
You might need to provide evidence of your financial capacity with your visa application. Check the Document Checklist tool (disclaimer) to find out the evidence you need to provide.
If the Document Checklist lists evidence of financial capacity as a requirement, it must be attached to the visa application form or your visa could be refused without requests for further information.

If you need to provide evidence of financial capacity, you will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
  • evidence that you meet the annual income requirement
  •   family members who apply after the primary applicant has been granted their visa must also provide documentary evidence of financial capacity. 

OSHC aka Oversea Student Health Cover

You must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. Students can show this by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.

How to start the process?

First you may have to use professional advice about available courses. It is important to choose wisely. Studying in Australia is expensive and many factors are to be considered. You may want to consider all cons and pros before making the ultimate decision.

Firstly, you have to be accepted by a school. You must lodge a well prepared school application to receive a Letter of Offer.

What do I need to apply for a student visa?

  • You need to be studying a full-time course
  • The provider of the course must be registered (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students – CRICOS)
  • Financial documents.  Depending on your personal situation, nationality and school you choose you will have to demonstrate you can afford studying in Australia. It is the case officers individual decision of what documents can be required and what funds have to be shown. There is a general guideline in place, but currently more factors are considered and guidelines for case officers seems to be more vague.
  • English level – Depending on what course you are applying for, the school may require an English test (usually IELTS) to prove your English level. Different courses and schools require different English skills. As a professional educational agency we will advise you on this, in detail.


Pacific Center  Immigration Agency can help you with:
Assessing your eligibility and chances of success.
Manage your Skills Recognition or Recognition of Prior Learning if required
Assist employers with documentation including employment contracts, financial documents etc
Lodge a visa application
Manage your bridging visa requirements, if applicable
Provide advice regarding Australian migration law
Stay in contact with Case officer and respond when required.
Follow up with DIBP  when required.

[contact-form-7 id=”885″ title=”Contact form 1″]


Student visas can be granted for people who enrolled to a CRICOS approved course in Australia for longer than 3 months.

There is no age limit so almost anyone can be a student in Australia.  You can study English, VET courses or University courses or combine arrangements of two or more courses.

Current changes for student visas have been introduced in July 2016, there is one visa category 500 and there is no assessment levels, however the basic rules have stayed the same.

As of July 2016, level of evidence required depends on a combination of student nationality (previously assessment level) and school rating (good schools- easier). This is why schools with a good reputation are very particular when accepting students.

English courses. Give right to work 40 hrs / fortnight
VET courses. Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses organized by private colleges, TAFE or universities. Give right to work 40 hrs / fortnight.
Higher Education. Give right to work 40 hrs / fortnight and often full time for partner.
To apply for student visa, in general situation you must have CoE issued by the school. WE are helping with school arrangements at no extra costs.
Then to lodge your visa you may be required to demonstrate your financial situation, ties you have in home country or English skills to study.

For students from countries in assessment level 3 you will have to :

  • prove you have available funds to study in Australia at least for one year. If somebody is sponsoring you, they must show where the funds are coming from. Basic calculation is as below. On average it means that single person studying for year or longer will have to demonstrate access to minimum AU$36.000.00
  • often showing assets in home country or family relationships is required.
  • Test for genuine student is often required
ExpensesPer PersonAmount required in AUDAnnotation below.
TravelPrimary applicant$20001
TuitionPrimary Applicant$167003
School age children (5-18)$120004
LivingPrimary applicant $186105
First Child$37207
Each other child$27908

*1, 2  – Applicant and family are expected to have funds for tickets to go back home once course is finished. If applicant has no return flight , DIBP expect $2000 per person to be available in bank.

*3 – Tuition can be paid before the visa is lodged or after, depends on visa assessment level, but tuition must be paid for at least one year or if paid only deposit, balance amount must be shown on bank statement. If study is for longer than 12 months and only first year of tuition had been paid, additional statements about balance tuition fee is required.

*4 – Children who are age 5-16 must study in Australia. If they arriving with parents who are on student visa, children still have to be enrolled to school. Parents may arrange private education or use government (public school). Enrollment into public school cost on average $12 000 per annum.

*5- Living expenses for primary applicant as accommodation, food, books etc.

*6,7,8 – Regardless if family is coming to Australia or not, DIBP expect applicant to have funds for living cost for family.

The tuition fees may differ depending on the education provider and qualification level