Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

As an international student in Australia, you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your study in Australia. But there are also other types of insurance which you may find useful.

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC. It includes cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines). OSHC insurers can provide a range of different OSHC products. These may range from a basic product which covers only the compulsory minimum services to comprehensive products which cover, in addition to the compulsory minimum services, extra services as specified under the particular policy.

The Department of Home Affairs requires overseas students to maintain OSHC for the duration of time they are in Australia.

We are representing major Australian insurers, you may check their options below.

How much does OSHC cost?

How much you pay for OSHC depends on the type of cover you need. We offer OSHC for:

  • Singles –  covering only the overseas student who is the primary Student Visa holder*
  • Dual family – covering the overseas student, and either:
    • One adult spouse or de facto partner
    • One or more children under the age of 18 years old
  • Multi-family – covering the overseas student and more than one dependant, which can include:
    • Only one adult spouse or de facto partner
    • One or more dependent children